Monday, November 16, 2009

Girlfriend

"Are you mean?"

"No."

"Oh, because I'm really nice."

"I'm a super funny guy!"

" I'm Maggie, this is my friend Ella. Do you want to play wolves?"

"Owwwooooohhh!!"

I miss the instant friendships of childhood. I wish I could just say, "I'm really nice" and have that be enough to play. Not secretly withholding my friendship based on a disagreement about something as profoundly stupid and transient as politics, or my style of discipline vs. hers.

I wish I could sit at a McDonald's Playland, turn to the mother next to me and say "would you like to be my friend?". I hate that we live in a world in which that woman would instantly think the words "restraining order".

Making girlfriends is hard. It's like dating only I'm not good at it. I was great at dating. I knew just what to do. I think dating is actually a lot more straight forward than friendship - throw your head back and laugh a lot - that's all you have to do. It shows off your hair and easy going personality at the same time. Boys like both of those things, girls less so. They want listening, and dependability, they're not as impressed with cleavage.

I have very few girl friends.

Rejection from boys never really bothered me (clearly, he was just intimidated). Rejection from girls is more difficult. That girl down the street doesn't prefer blondes to brunettes, she hates me for who I am. It's not that she wishes I were taller, it's more that she wishes my personality were better. I would rather get my legs repeatedly broken and spaced to give me height than examine and improve my personality - that would take real pain and work.

The good news is that I do have some girl friends, these are very nice women, tolerant. I love them. Some are my actual sisters, some feel like sisters. Some have seen what comes off of my nose when I have used a Biore strip. Some I wish knew me better and I wish I knew them better. Some I don't see often but my heart has made them a friend forever anyway.

Some of them have incredible bums - you know who you are... Melia.

3 comments:

Rebecca Wood said...

i love you traci

Sarah Louise said...

I read most of this post and almost all of the preceding ones out loud to my roommate just now. She laughed so hard--she's not a fake laugher--I had to keep going.

Traci, you're phenomenal. Also, you made my gchat status right now: ""I think dating is actually a lot more straight forward than friendship - throw your head back and laugh a lot - that's all you have to do. It shows off your hair and easy going personality at the same time." http://dontcallmelady.blogspot.com/2009/11/girlfriend.html"

Anonymous said...

this is simply fabulous....