Tuesday, August 4, 2009

It's Magic Time

I've always thought, like most people do, that I''m a little bit special. When I read Harry Potter I think, as most people do, if that kind of thing happened it would happen to me. I've always thought that maybe other kid's stuffed animals were made of fabric and stuffing (and in Chuckie's case an urge to kill) but mine couldn't help but be animated by the fairy dust that trailed off of me and all around my room. Don't get me wrong, they never spoke or moved, but I like to think that I had developed an understanding and respect for their need to keep up the charade as part of the rules by which all stuffed animals are governed, and I am pretty sure they had a quiet admiration for my insight.

I believe in pretty much everything, mermaids, fairies, the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, the Nigerian prince who needs our help. I think the world is as magical as you are willing to believe it to be. I think that we owe it to each other to make it more magical. I've always suspected trace amounts of magic on my person, but now I've decided to focus it.

So here's what I propose to myself - I'm am going to try to make a little magic a few times a week. Frivolous, silly, awe inspiring kind of stuff, the stuff that makes you think anything might be possible, and I'm going to practice on as many people as I can, but I'm going to practice primarily on the most receptive audience, my children. I'm thinking unbirthdays, midnight bike rides, hot air balloons, fancy dinners and secret admiration. The things that put a skip in your step and make you wonder what kind of happy surprise is lurking around the corner of life. I want to report back on my most fantastic successes and mortifying failures.

So this is my new idea, to spread magic, and what is magic if not the most frivolously necessary kind of love? The truth is I loved my stuffed animals so much that it was impossible to me that they could not love me back. I still see it that way, my eight year old heart was so full it had to have spilled over and made extra little hearts. Now I just want to fill up my heart until it has to spill over and fill those around me.

Wish me luck. I believe in wishes and luck.

0 comments: