Thursday, July 9, 2009

Ahhh Potential...

A friend called me about three or four weeks ago and was very complimentary. I would pretend that I'm not the type of person to repeat a compliment but I am that type of person, I am exactly that type of person. I jump around and make people guess why I'm so happy and then when they are annoyed and refuse to guess I yell that someone said I looked pretty today, or that they liked my picture, or they think I'm cool. Um, someone thinks I'M COOL! I can't keep that to myself! Are you kidding me?!? That doesn't happen all the time, and even if it did happen all the time how could anyone ever get so many compliments that they can be modest and reserved about it? Doesn't everyone know that it's the best thing in the world?

Anyways, my friend was very complimentary.

She said I had a talent for writing and to keep it up. I took that to mean that I have potential.

And that's why four or five weeks ago I quit.

I have been told I have potential in lots of things, braggy, but true. And that is just were I like to stay, cozy in my little nest of potential because, when you have potential, you have not disappointed anyone yet, you have not proven them wrong, you have yet to suck.

But I turned 29 last month, and I've begun to realize that potential only looks good on ingenues. Once you hit a certain point it stops being potential and starts being a little tragic. All that potential devolves into all the things you could've done but never did. I'm a juicy translucent peach devolving into a black sack of mush in your refrigerator and I'm beginning to stink and it's time for a wake up call.

I don't want to be a black bag of mush. I'm a juicy peach damnit!

So here it goes world, life, imagination audience! I'm going to start doing, and being and living! I'm going to start sounding like Liza Minelli a lot more (see previous sentence)! I'm going to draw you pretty pictures and learn how to scan them on my computer! I'm going to continue tap dancing until I'm really good and I am going to be an ariel contortionist! I spelled that wrong, it was supposed to be aerial contortionist but I like that better anyways because then I am also a mermaid!

So look out world! I am going to be A LOT more frequent with my blogging!

2 comments:

Aim the Flame said...

holy cow! Was I the one that made you stop writing when I said how much I loved your blog - dangit! I take it back then. Just keep writing. Call it therapy for your friends, but don't stop..believin' (sorry - a little "Journey" music creepin' in...)
Also, I went through the "juicy-peach-turning-into-mush" phase when I turned 33. I said to myself, "Gee..I am the same age as Jesus when he died. And look what HE accomplished. Awww...I suck!" But I got over it.

Anonymous said...

potential is a cozy place to be.

I've heard that word too many times and stopped drawing/painting,..writing

but sharing your potential aka "God given talents" speak to people who are feeling that same human experience...maybe gives them encouragement again? in your 20's potential IS cozy. in your 30's it does become sorta "tragic" like wasting divine gifts. I felt the same way as you and your friend when I turned 33. Now, I am 36,...wow I am glad I stumbled upon your blog.