Friday, January 2, 2009

The Most Magical Place on Earth

I've lived a whirlwind, jet setty sort of life the past couple of months, I suppose the holidays probably make everyone feel that way but for me it's true. When I'm not flitting (driving in a minivan) off to some exotic (Washington) destination to entertain the masses (sing bad kareoke to five barflies and five awesomely supportive mormon ladies) I'm staying at home, going to party after party, where the ham is always hot and the sprite flows freely.

And I haven't even mentioned spending New Years in Sundance, you know, Hollywood's winter playground? Robert Redford lives like two miles (and several security gates and surveilance cameras) away from us. Sure, I've never met him, nor have I seen him or anyone remotely famous (actually, that's not true, I did see Ed Harris once on a hike, where HE PET MY DOG! Well, not my dog, but my brother-in-laws dog) but just knowing that I COULD is luxury enough for me.

But until I do get invited over to Robert, Bob, that's what I call him, over to Bob's house I'll have to content myself with making smores with the under ten set. Lecturing my husband on the many ways in which he could break his neck sledding off a really steep hill, then, when he does not break his neck, letting him push me into doing it too. Playing card games with my sister and brother-in-law. Watching our children play together and hearing my two year old sniffle and tell me she really misses her nine year old cousin who she refers to as "her boy" once he's left to go sledding. Eating way too much candy until I've created a giant ball of gummi that sits like Jaba the Hutt in the bottom of my stomach. Sledding at night with nothing but the chilled air and the black and the blue and the stars and kids giggle/screaming.

We leave for Disneyland, you may have heard of it, Millcreek's winter playground? In two days. I love it there, love dosen't even describe it. When I die, if heaven dosen't look exactly like Main Street, USA, I will want a refund. We will have fun there, I will eat a turkey leg, it will be fantastic, but mostly it will be great because we are going with another beloved sister and brother-in-law, more cousins that are the best people in the world. The love and memory and confidence I have in my family is the most magical thing, wherever we are.

0 comments: