Saturday, November 7, 2009

If you don't cry more than once while reading a book, but after you turn the last page you bawl, that's when you know you've read a good book.

I've always loved books like that, it's reflective of how life is. Alot of little, barely noteable nothings that when taken together, make something so big it sweeps right over you. I love that feeling.

OOh, the feeling of being swept up along with bobby bins and bits of paper, hands that scratch backs in church, moments of biting our tongues, beads and dust, passing the salt and walking to school.

The way that he congratulates himself first because he's scared you won't remember to.

How she rubs her eyes when she trying not to cry.

The way she does the dishes, even though you'd like her just as well sitting on the couch.

The way he gets gruff and sheepish at the same time.

How he looks down and nods while you're making a point.

Her hands.

Her bossing.

Jokes that aren't funny.

What we talk about when we're bored.

I think I can see why God loves us so much. I think that we aren't diamonds in the rough, or if we are , that's how we're meant to be. We have to be taken as a whole, strong and weak parts, big and little things, and together they make these wonderful, hilarious, kind, stupid people and isn't that just a wonder?

Boy I love a good book.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post because I also love love LOVE the abnormally normal things. The little quirks that really make life special - they make books great, too!

And I'm hoping that this post is not just symbolic, but that you DO have a good book to suggest. (What is it?!)

:)
-chococatania

don'tcallmelady said...

I actually just finished reading Cold Sassy Tree, it was quite good, but my favorite book that gives me that feeling is A River Runs Through It. It's sooo wonderful.

I'm looking for someting new, got any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Oh! I LOVE Cold Sassy Tree, it's been years since I read it, though - I kind of want to read it again - that was definitely a book that I didn't want to end. I haven't read A River Runs Through It. I might have to.

Hmmm...right now I'm reading Everything Is Illuminated, by Jonathan Safran Foer. It's pretty funny so far. I haven't finished yet, so I'm not sure about a recommendation - however, Foer wrote another book called Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. I love that book. Here you can read the first chapter.

anyways...we'll have to keep swapping book suggestions. :)
-chococatania